Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

It's been a long, tiring week! Last week Nate decided that he would be fussy during feedings, after feedings, and every other time in between. He has established his fussy time from about 7 to 12 at night and it has been impossible to get him to bed at a reasonable hour and on a good schedule. He would not sleep more than half an hour during the day and would grunt in his sleep and wake up crying. He also started showing signs of reflux and spitting up a lot (hence the crying all the time). I took him back to the pediatrician Monday (he weighed 9 lb. 6 oz., almost another pound!!) and she told us to give him Mylanta before every feeding to help with the reflux. Well, let me tell you, I never thought Mylanta would work, but he has been a different baby for the past two days! He does not cry at all during the day now and has been taking great naps. Now it's hard to keep him awake after his feedings! Unfortunately, the Mylanta has not helped his fussy periods at night, and we have just resolved that we will probably have to live with getting no sleep for the next couple weeks. Two nights ago I was up with him until about 1:30 a.m. and finally had a meltdown. Ben switched places with me in the bed and graciously took baby duty for the rest of the night since he didn't have to work Tuesday. He told me he thought he was going to have to commit me! I'm better now, knowing that this is just a fussy period he is going through and hopefully we will all get through this soon.

Ben and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary on Monday. His parents graciously came over and kept Nate while we went out for a nice dinner. Of course, Nate was the perfect little angel for them and slept the whole time! But we were back before the sun went down. Welcome to parenthood, I guess! Ben let me order a new Canon Rebel camera for our anniversary and my upcoming birthday, and I can't wait to get it. Hopefully, y'all will be seeing some even better Nate pictures soon!

Meanwhile, I mentioned in the last post that he hates sleeping on his tummy, but he has discovered that it's much more comfy than he realized. So anytime I can't get him to sleep, I just put him on his tummy long enough to get him to sleep, then flip him over! Whatever works, right?!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I remember those times!!! I'm still surprised I wasn't committed too :) Ha Ha! Nate is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren,
    I remember the feeling well! Madelyn struggled horribly with reflux and was a very fussy baby! We would spend at least two hours every night walking the halls with her. Dan and I would just have to take turns with her when the other one got tired. I had numerous breakdowns so don't feel bad! It does get easier and Madelyn is the happiest and most content toddler now! I'll be thinking about you guys and I hope you can get some rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, it's so fun to read about how you, Nate and Ben are doing. Your parents are here and they cant stop talking about Nate. I can't wait to meet the not so little guy! Hang in there! -Meredith

    ReplyDelete